Saturday, January 13, 2018

Uke Conversion - Part 1

The Instrument: A cute little decorative guitar, purchased at a local craft store.
The Challenge: Convert it into a playable soprano ukulele. It is very cheaply made. The heel block is way left of center, with two tiny nails driven through into the heel. The nut and bridge are notched / drilled for six strings, and the existing wooden frets are spaced incorrectly. Interior bracing is minimal and balsa (I think).  

First up was shaving off the useless wooden frets with a wood chisel. Then I used a heat gun to soften the glue and remove the plastic nut, which nearly melted after a minute under the gun. 
Next will be to sand and level the fret board, mark and install new frets, then move on to nut and bridge modifications. Until next time... 😎

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Work Space Upgrade

Heading into 2018 I decided to upgrade my indoor work space, which is really a converted computer desk in a spare bedroom. 1/2" plywood sheeting expanded the work surface and provided a "tool wall" backstop, and I built a small set of shelves. The new arrangement is sturdier as well since I added additional 2x4 support legs. Hopefully these improvements will help to increase my guitar output in the coming year. A blessed 2018 to all. 😎



Friday, December 1, 2017

2018 Guitar Projects Preview

After a slow 2017, here is a preview of a more prolific 2018 featuring cigar box guitars, traditional guitar repairs, and a few ukulele conversions. 💚🎸

Two from 2016
A few of the boxes that will become guitars in 2018
Some miscellaneous parts just waiting for a home
Rescued from a roadside trash pile... ouch! 
Needs bridge repair, new tuners and some fret work.
























These child guitars will become ukuleles!
Future 3 and 4-string ukes

Uke Conversion - Part 1

The Instrument: A cute little decorative guitar, purchased at a local craft store. The Challenge:  Convert it into a playable soprano ukule...